Home & Contents Insurance

Insure your home inside and out from loss or damage caused by one or more of 11 insured events.

Combining buildings and contents covers on the one policy

Get cover for your home buildings and your contents by combining buildings and contents covers on the one policy. If you take both Building and Contents Insurance, here’s how they can work together if the unexpected occurs:

  • Your house burns down. You could lose all your buildings, and everything in them. With adequate sums insured under buildings and contents covers, you could rebuild and replace your insured belongings.
  • A fire damages your kitchen. You could repair or rebuild built-in damaged parts of your kitchen, such as bench tops, with buildings cover. Then you could replace damaged items like blinds and kitchenware under your contents cover.
  • A thief smashes your window, breaks the lock and steals your belongings. You can fix the window and lock through your buildings cover and replace the items that were stolen under your contents cover.

Plus, you will only have to pay the applicable excess(es) once in respect of any single claim if your buildings and contents are damaged by the same insured event.

Save up to 10% on your first year’s premium when you quote and buy a new home insurance policy online1,4

24/7 online claims lodgement

Combine your building and contents cover to receive up to 10% discount on your premium2, 4

Pay by the month at no extra cost6

Features and benefits

The better you understand your policy, the easier it will be if you ever have to claim.

Here is a limited summary of the benefits of a building and contents insurance policy. For full details, of the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and any applicable supplementary PDS before making a decision to purchase the insurance.  

The Home Buildings and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets (KFS) also set out some information about the cover.

Key features and benefits

In the table below view the key features and benefits of Home & Contents Insurance.

 Home & Contents Insurance
Rebuilding and professional fees - If you need to rebuild your home after total loss or damage, Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will help pay the reasonable costs of architects, engineers, surveyors and solicitors up to $5,000. 
Cover for the unexpected - Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance offers cover for out of the ordinary but devastating events such as fire7, storm7 and burglary. 
Cover for storm damage - Covers loss or damage by storm, cyclone7, rain water, runoff (provided run-off is not combined with flood waters) and, if caused by and occurs within the first 72 hours following a storm, Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance provides cover for loss or damage caused by soil movement, landslide, mudslide or subsidence. 
Making your buildings environmentally friendly - If your buildings are totally destroyed and need to be rebuilt, in addition to your buildings sum insured, Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will pay up to $5,000 (after deduction of any government or council rebates) to help you make the new buildings more environmentally friendly. 
Alternative accommodation for you and your pets - If your building or contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent that you can’t live in your home buildings, Allianz will pay the additional costs for temporary accommodation for you up to 10% of the building or contents sum insured (as applicable) and up to $500 for temporary accommodation for your pets in a commercial boarding establishment. This benefit applies up to a maximum of 12 months. 
Replacement locks - Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will cover the cost, up to $1,000, to replace the locks or cylinders of any external door or window following an actual or attempted theft or burglary if the key is stolen or you believe the key has been copied. 
Vandalism or malicious damage - Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will cover you for loss or damage caused by vandalism or a malicious act. 
Debris removal - In addition to your buildings sum insured, Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will pay up to 10% of your building and/or contents sum insured for the removal of debris from the damaged or destroyed part of the buildings. 
Legal liability - Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will cover your legal liability up to $20 million for payment of compensation relating to death, bodily injury or illness, and/or physical loss of or damage to property caused by an accident (or series of accidents). 
24/7 online claims lodgement - When you need to make a claim Allianz are there for you with 24 hour claims lodgement available online, or you can call the claims line to commence the claims process over the phone. 
Cover when you’re moving house - Ian Berry Home and Contents Insurance will cover your contents for loss or damage caused by an insured event both at your new and old address for up to 14 days after you first start to move. No cover is provided for loss or damage whilst contents are in transit (unless you have Accidental Damage cover). 

Optional Covers

Apply to add any of the optional covers in the table below for an additional premium and greater cover.

 Home & Contents Insurance
Accidental Damage - The Accidental Damage cover option helps insure you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally – giving you greater coverage for your home building and/or contents. 
Portable contents - You can choose optional cover to insure your portable contents such as mobile phones, cameras and engagement rings in the event of theft or an accident at the insured address and when you take them out of your home, even when you are temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 continuous days in any period of insurance. Some portable contents must be specified as Listed Portable Contents with the full replacement value to be covered away from the home. 
Motor burnout - The Motor Burnout option covers you if an electrical current damages your household electrical motors. This cover is automatically included if you have taken optional Accidental Damage cover. 
Flood cover - Flood cover may be available as an optional cover to your buildings and/or contents. A 72 hour exclusion period applies.7  
Domestic workers’ compensation cover - Cover for a domestic worker (e.g. gardener or cleaner) if they are injured while working for you at the insured address. Only available in ACT, WA and TAS 

Policy Document and Key Fact Sheets

Home Insurance Calculators

It’s up to you to decide the sums insured, and the type and level of cover that you want to take out. People generally want enough insurance to cover the property’s estimated replacement value. If you don’t have enough cover, you could end up having to cover some of the costs yourself. Remember, Allianz will only pay up to the amount of your loss or the sum insured, whichever is the lesser (subject to the policy terms and conditions) – so you should also be careful not to over insure. That’s why we’ve provided these calculators. They work as guides to help you estimate the replacement value of your home building and contents.

Get in touch

To experience our local customer service where you speak to a real South Australian insurance expert every time, please get in contact with us!

Talk to an insurance expert

Contact 1300 292 100 and speak to a real person!

Visit an insurance expert

You can find us at your local Police Credit Union branch.

Looking for a quick quote?

Fill in our online form or call 1300 292 100.

Need to make a claim?

Visit our claims page for more information.

Request a call back

Fill out the form below and a member of our service team will contact you at a time that’s convenient for you.

  1. Online discount

    When you quote and buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is applied to your first years premium including the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Flood, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal.

  2. Combined Discounts

    A discount of up to 10% is applied to your premium when you combine Buildings and Contents on one Home Insurance policy, including for the following optional covers if selected: Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage cover. The combined discount doesn't apply to Landlord policies, Flood or Portable Contents optional covers.

  3. Minimum premiums

    If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts.
    Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges.
    Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic workers’ compensation / Landlord workers’ compensation, and may not apply to other optional covers (if available and selected).
    Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached.

  4. Instalment premiums

    If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments.

  5. 72 hour exclusion period

    We may not provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. Refer to PDS for when exclusion periods apply.