Contents Insurance for Renters

Insure your belongings if you live in a rental property from loss or damage from insured events such as theft, fire7 and storm7.

Getting the right cover for your contents

Getting the right cover for your contents while you live in somebody else’s property is easy with Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters.

If you are renting, have you considered how much it would cost to replace all the contents in your home if they were destroyed by fire7 or storm7? Or in the event of theft or burglary? Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters can help you insure your belongings from loss or damage caused by insured events such as fire7, theft and storm7.

  • Cover for your belongings from damage caused by fire7, theft and storm7
  • Cover for contents intended to be kept outside, like your barbeque, outdoor furniture and children’s play equipment up to $2,000 in total

Save up to 10% on your first year’s premium when you quote and buy a new contents insurance policy online1,4

You may qualify for up to 30% No Claim Bonus3,4

Option to increase your excess which may reduce your premium5

Pay by the month at no extra cost6

Features and benefits

The better you understand your policy, the easier it will be if you ever have to claim. Here is a limited summary of the benefits of a Contents Insurance policy.

For full details of the standard terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), any applicable supplementary PDS before making a decision to purchase the insurance.

The Home Contents Key Fact Sheet (KFS) also sets out some information about the cover.

Features and benefits

In the table below view the key features and benefits of Contents Insurance for Renters.

Contents Insurance for Renters
Cover when you’re moving house - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover your contents for loss or damage caused by an insured event both at your new and old address for up to 14 days after you first start to move. No cover is provided for loss or damage whilst contents are in transit (unless you have Accidental Damage cover).
Additional costs of alternative accommodation for your pets - If your contents are damaged by an insured event during the period of insurance to such an extent that you can’t live in your home buildings, Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover the additional costs for temporary accommodation for you up to 10% of the contents sum insured and up to $500 for temporary accommodation for your pets in a commercial boarding establishment. This benefit applies up to a maximum of 12 months.
Debris removal - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover up to 10% of the contents sum insured for removal of debris from the home building if your contents are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.
Food or medicine spoilage - If your refrigerator or freezer breaks down and you lose your perishable food or medicine as a result, Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will pay for you to replace it. If you claim for this benefit, excess will apply. If the spoilage is due to a natural disaster (declared by Allianz, the government or the Insurance Council of Australia ) the maximum Allianz will pay is $500. No excess will apply.
Guest, visitor and domestic helper property - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters also provides cover for property belonging to your guests, visitors and domestic helpers up to $5,000 (included in your contents sum insured), if it is lost or damaged as a result of an insured event that you are claiming for.
Cover for events - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover you up to your contents sum insured for loss or damage caused by storm, cyclone7, rainwater and run-off (provided run-off is not combined with flood waters). For cyclones, floods, grassfires and bushfires a 72 hour exclusion period applies.7
Cover for storm damage - Covers loss or damage by storm, cyclone7, rain water, runoff (provided run-off is not combined with flood waters) and, if caused by and occurs within the first 72 hours following a storm, Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters provides cover for loss or damage caused by soil movement, landslide, mudslide or subsidence.
Legal liability - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover your legal liability up to $20 million for payment of compensation relating to death, bodily injury or illness, and/or physical loss of or damage to property caused by an accident (or series of accidents). If you have Contents Cover, it does not cover any legal liability you may incur as owner of the buildings unless the buildings are defined as a lot.
Accidental breakage cover for your rental property - Ian Berry Contents Insurance for Renters will cover you for accidental breakage of a fixed glass or ceramic item, like a window, cooking surface, sink or toilet if you are legally liable as a tenant to pay for the breakage.

Optional Covers

Apply to add any of the optional covers in the table below for an additional premium and greater cover.

 Contents Insurance for Renters
Accidental Damage - the Accidental Damage cover option helps insure you in the event of accidental unexpected mishaps that are caused unintentionally – giving you greater coverage for your home contents. 
Portable contents - Optional cover to insure your portable contents such as mobile phones, cameras and engagement rings in the event of theft or an accident at the insured address and when you take them out of your home, even when you are temporarily outside Australia for up to 120 continuous days in any period of insurance. Some portable contents must be specified as Listed Portable Contents with the full replacement value to be covered away from the home. 
Motor Burnout - the Motor Burnout option covers you if an electrical current damages your household electrical motors. This cover is automatically included if you have taken optional Accidental Damage cover. 
Flood cover - Flood cover may be available as an optional cover to your contents. A 72 hour exclusion period applies.7 
Domestic workers’ compensation cover - Cover for a domestic worker (e.g. gardener or cleaner) if they are injured while working for you at the insured address. Only available in ACT, WA and TAS. 

Home Contents Calculator

It’s up to you to decide the sums insured, and the type and level of cover that you want to take out. People generally want enough insurance to cover the property’s estimated replacement value. If you don’t have enough cover, you could end up having to cover some of the costs yourself. Remember, Allianz will only pay up to the amount of your loss or the sum insured, whichever is the lesser  (subject to the policy terms and conditions) – so you should also be careful not to over insure. That’s why we’ve provided this calculator. It works as a guide to help you estimate the replacement value of your home contents.

Policy Document and Key Fact Sheets

Before making a decision please refer to the Home Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) any applicable supplementary PDS and Home Contents Key Fact Sheet also available for reference.

Get in touch

To experience our local customer service where you speak to a real South Australian insurance expert every time, please get in contact with us!

Talk to an insurance expert

Contact 1300 292 100 and speak to a real person!

Visit an insurance expert

You can find us at your local Police Credit Union branch.

Looking for a quick quote?

Fill in our online form or call 1300 292 100.

Need to make a claim?

Visit our claims page for more information.

Request a call back

Fill out the form below and a member of our service team will contact you at a time that’s convenient for you.

  1. Online discount

    When you quote and buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is applied to your first year’s premium including the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Flood, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal.

  2. No Claim Bonus

    When you take out a new policy, we calculate your No Claim Bonus based on your Home or Landlord (as applicable) Insurance claims history. To qualify for the maximum No Claim Bonus of 30%, Home Insurance customers must have had no Buildings or Contents Insurance claims in the preceding five years. Landlord customers must have had no Landlord Insurance claims in the preceding 3 years. However, customers who have had claims may still qualify for a reduced No Claim Bonus. The No Claim Bonus is applied to some optional covers if selected; Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not Flood or Portable Contents Cover, if selected.

  3. Minimum premiums

    If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts.

    Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges.

    Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic Workers’ Compensation / Landlord Workers’ Compensation, and may not apply to other optional covers (if available and selected).

    Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached.

  4. Option to change your excess

    Not available with respect to any additional compulsory excess, imposed excess applied to the policy or to the Portable Contents excess. Any reduction in premium will not be applied to government taxes and charges, or to optional covers (if available and selected): Domestic Workers Compensation, Flood or Portable Contents. Minimum premiums apply

  5. Instalment premiums

    If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments.

  6. 72 hour exclusion period

    We may not provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you first purchase a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy. Refer to PDS for when exclusion periods apply.